How to Apply
The Application Package must be submitted online by January 15.
Application Prerequisite / Eligibility
Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution (or international equivalent) is required.
A complete Application for Admission consists of:
Application for The Graduate School (submitted online)
One copy of each of the following:
- Unofficial transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- 3 letters of recommendation. We prefer recommendations be submitted via your online application, but if your recommender is unable to submit that way, they may mail them to our office. Make sure they sign across the sealed envelope flap.
- A 10-page Writing Sample-- play, screenplay, teleplay. Either a complete work or an excerpt of one or more works. Whatever gives us the best sense of your potential. No prose, essays or short stories please.
- A one-page Statement of Purpose. Why this Program now? What do you hope to learn? What will you give back to your colleagues? But write whatever gives us the best sense of you.
- A one-page Synopsis of a writing project you would like to pursue while in the Program.
- A resume or curriculum vitae.
- Critical Essay: Please answer one of the two following questions:
- Based on your experience, to what extent do most films, plays and/or television shows argue for the power of free will? To what extent do they argue for the power of fate? Give specific examples to back up your argument. (500 words or less).
- Compare two films, television shows, or plays that (1) have similar plots and (2) that are personally meaningful to you but were created at least 20 years apart. (You may use any combination for comparison; two films, one play and one film, one film and one television show, etc.). Describe the personal meaning each work has for you and how it provides insight into the values of society at the time. (500 words or less).
For non-native speakers the TOEFL or IELTS (not less than two years old). The minimum score for the MFA is 600 paper / 250 computer / 100 Internet based for the TOEFL and 7.0 for the IELTS.
Non-native MFA applicants wishing to be considered for appointment as a Teaching Assistant must submit a minimum score of 26 on the TOEFL speaking section, taken no more than two years before consideration for appointment.
Note: The GRE is not required.
Via the online application is the preferred method for receiving all supplemental materials including transcripts. Portfolio materials will not be returned.
We look forward to receiving your application!